Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back in the USA, etc.





PASADENA, Calif. - As most know, I made it back safely from China. The picture of me is on Nanjing Road in Shanghai. Since our return, I've been spending most of my time simply relaxing and enjoying the first significant break I've had since last Christmas. It's good that I had nothing to do when I got back, because getting over the jet lag was more than a little tricky. For quite a while, it was pretty much impossible for me to fall asleep before 2 or 3 a.m., and then I wouldn't get up until 10 or 11. Thankfully, I seem to be past that stage.

Besides getting over jet lag, I've also begun to count down to some important things. I'm not really paying attention to this, but school starts 2 weeks from yesterday. More importantly, there are only 36 days left until I return to Wisconsin, only 103 days until Christmas, and only 269 days until graduation. Those are some good numbers to know. I don't want to wish this year away - there is an awful lot to look forward to and enjoy within it - but I really can't help the enthusiasm I am experiencing regarding the nearing of the end of my seminary journey. I have a lot of class to get through this year, but man it seems close.

I've also recently started my internship at FBC Pasadena. This past weekend I went on a retreat with the church choir to Big Bear - a very nice place in the Sierra Nevada mountains where the air is fresh (and cool this past weekend). I had the privilege of sitting outside wearing a sweatshirt and drinking hot chocolate (and being chilly enough to really enjoy holding a hot cup!). We stayed in a beautiful big house, which is pictured above.

I do have some work to do as my vacation winds down over the next two weeks. I have a reflection paper to write about the trip, which I am procrastinating on right now. Well, really, that's about the only work I have to do besides finishing up my profile questionnaire for the American Baptist Personnel Service so I can start the job hunt. Friday night I am dining with the trustees of the Seminary. Next week should be the calm before the storm of the Fall Quarter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home