Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A sermon in the making

I'm a little excited tonight. You see, I'm preaching on Friday for my homiletics class, and my sermon is really beginning to take shape. When that happens, I always get wound up. I think that's because preaching is what I am most convinced God has called me to do, and I love doing it! The text was assigned to me. It is Ephesians 1:15-23, which is the appointed text for All Saints' Day. I had been looking over the text for awhile and wasn't getting any ideas at all. Tonight, however, the juices started to flow, the wheels began to turn, the Holy Spirit began to move. It's so great when that happens. I can't go into it all now, because it's getting late, but the main idea is this: to be separated from the Church (the saints) is to be separated from the fullness of Christ (see Eph. 1:23). Sure, maybe you can be "saved" and not be a part of a church proper, but you are definitely missing out on something. And let's face it, no one really comes to salvation without the Church, for without it nothing that we know about God (including the Bible) would have been passed on to us. Anyway, that won't all be in my sermon, but it's all good stuff. Peace for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger R. T. Bailey said...

Teaching at a small liberal arts college sounds awesome. By the way, RHIT is not one, but I see how it would work nicely for you. As for me, I have two years left (including this one) at Fuller. After that, I hope to return to the Midwest. Indiana would be ideal, but I think I'd really enjoy living in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Lots of other places are possibilities though. I'm open to pretty much anything but west Texas, and I'd really like to get out of southern California. I'll pastor a church for awhile and then maybe think about a Ph.D. (maybe in practical theology) so I could teach at a small liberal arts college, too.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your not doing a very good job of posting.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home